Bright Spark

Upload your latest creations here.
Please note that by posting comments to posts in this forum you forfeit your personal copyright on whatever you post. AI Scripters reserves the right to re-use objective comments in script reviews without requiring the posting author's permission. Credit, where appropriate will be given in such cases.
Bandit1990
Forumer

Re: Bright Spark

Post by Bandit1990 »

Another minor update, mostly fixing bugs.

- Fixed bug where Bright Spark would trap villagers in the TC around Castle Age onwards, idling around 10 villagers.
- Fixed bug where scout would get stuck between scouting and raiding states.
- Resolved a loop where Bright Spark would keep buying wood for mining camps and then not build the mining camp.
- A new trick in Feudal to draw out enemy villagers.
- Increased defence range of new micro in defence mode.
- No longer builds fishing ships when there are no fish in the water.
- Updated villager scouting script so should be more likely to find a place to build a lumber camp on Land Nomad.
- Updated TC building script so Bright Spark is less likely to build it's TCs right next to a team member.
- TC is more likely to be built near a food source or woodland.
- Towers have been bumped up the siege priority list

Promiskuitiv
Waheguru

Post by Promiskuitiv »

Cool stuff, thanks for the updates!

lolasik43
Forumer

Post by lolasik43 »

Good news !

paper
Forumer

Post by paper »

Aleph wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 6:04 am
future top ai, bookmark my words
If it could improve its dark age, castle age and imperial age then it would be the strongest Aoe2 AI

One of Bright Spark's weaknesses is that it may research Imperial age with a low amount of villagers, so "stopping age up to boost military" until Bright Spark has about 90-120 villagers would make it better

Bright Spark is decent in empire wars, and with a few tweaks it's very difficult for the other AIs to defeat Bright Spark, they usually lose before castle age

EDIT : Bright Spark tried to make bombard cannons as khmers, but they dont have bombard cannons anymore

Bandit1990
Forumer

Post by Bandit1990 »

New update released this morning:

- Navy production has been switched over to my dynamic unit selector - Bright Spark now can create any ship!
- Should be less likely to produce warships in small pools.
- Added some simple patrol commands to warships so they are more likely to defend docks.
- Infantry civs are more likely to include some ranged units in their military to disrupt farms from a distance.
- Villagers only get culled when at max pop AND there is a stockpile of resources, ensuring imperial upgrades are acquired for current units.
- Raised the resource cap before Bright Spark teammates start offering resources.
- Added an extra layer to build lumber camps on LN if original script fails.
- Increased radius around siege that guards can be before they are called to return to formation.
- Bright Spark no longer runs away from outposts, thinking they are watch towers...
- Military retreat code now works when there is no TC.
- Added Donjons and Kreposts to avoid/attack when raiding.
- Added delay to defensive tower building to avoid wasting resources immediately reaching feudal age.
- A single monk should be idled when not in attack mode so it is free to collect relics.
- Fixed bug where Bright Spark sometimes builds a mill instead of a TC or lumber-camp on LN maps.
- Will hold off spending wood so it can build extra TCs if it has the stone and other prioritised buildings are built. Making it more likely to build more TCs earlier in castle age and boost villager production.

Bandit1990
Forumer

Post by Bandit1990 »

paper wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:55 am

If it could improve its dark age, castle age and imperial age then it would be the strongest Aoe2 AI

One of Bright Spark's weaknesses is that it may research Imperial age with a low amount of villagers, so "stopping age up to boost military" until Bright Spark has about 90-120 villagers would make it better

Bright Spark is decent in empire wars, and with a few tweaks it's very difficult for the other AIs to defeat Bright Spark, they usually lose before castle age

EDIT : Bright Spark tried to make bombard cannons as khmers, but they dont have bombard cannons anymore
Thank you first of all for the comment but also for taking the time out to provide (and revisit) feedback, really appreciate it! I've never tested it on empire wars before so that's something I should explore!

I released an update this morning before I saw the Khmer comment, good spot! I've fixed that and will be released in the next update (hoping to get another one out in just over a week!)

The Dark Age eco has taken a bit of a step back in preparation for the FenCrazy tournament - I switched to a hybrid of direct unit control and normal engine behaviour as the FenCrazy map is much more unpredictable than other maps and found my pure direct unit controlled villagers would get stuck too often, I will switch back to pure DUC after the tournament but with some improvements now I've learned a few new tricks.

The late game/pocket play is atrocious at the moment and I'm looking at that next. The latest update should help a little bit as it should produce more villagers in castle age before it stops to reach imperial age and it should hold onto those villagers for longer in the late game. I'm working on introducing the same level of micro to the late game as I have active in Feudal Age at the moment - this won't fix everything but it will certainly make more use of the units Bright Spark has.

Thanks again - it's great to know people are downloading and using Bright Spark, and the external feedback helps overcome problems that either i haven't seen or don't know how to overcome :)

Bandit1990
Forumer

Post by Bandit1990 »

Another update - this one isn't properly finished yet because I'm trying a few new things.

Main difference is late game is improved - a lot. It's not where I want it yet but for now a fully boomed Bright Spark can hold its own vs a fully boomed DE AI or Immortal, doesn't always win but it doesn't get steamrolled like it used to either.

Another difference is with 3v3s and 4v4s, it's a lot more aggressive. I'm playing with more team strategies but wanted to upload this one as it is for now because it's already changed a lot since last update and it would be good to have something out now if the next updates take longer than planned.

Full list of changes is on the first post near the download. If you have any feedback then please do share. Thank you for the feedback so far - I'm taking it all in and working on it :)

PaxPR
Forumer

Post by PaxPR »

Hello,

I found a bug;

Using the 31 version, i get an script error; "File: Bright Spark\Spark - Bolt On Exp 8.per2 ERR5001: File open failed"

I searched on the file and realise it was using the wrong folder name, there is a "Bright Spark 31" folder but no "Bright Spark".
So i go to the line 942 of the code, fix the line to refers to the correct folder (Bright Spark 31\Spark ...) and now i see another error, now at line 962, another reference of the wrong folder. I fixed it, then another one at 971.

After fixing those lines the AI worked normally, except for the fact that at the start of the game it keeps spaming the same chat msgs over and over again in a loop. But that one i dont know how to fix. (The msgs are "Military Mode 1" and "Target Player 2")

It does not seens to interfere on the AI gameplay but it is a pain to the ears if you are spectating the AI.

So i search in the code, and found at the end a rule set to true and comented it, now the AI does not send those msgs.

Anyway, i love your AI, it is a great work.

Thankyou
Last edited by PaxPR on Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bandit1990
Forumer

Post by Bandit1990 »

PaxPR wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:35 am
Hello,

I found a bug;

Using the 31 version, i get an script error; "File: Bright Spark\Spark - Bolt On Exp 8.per2 ERR5001: File open failed"

I searched on the file and realise it was using the wrong folder name, there is a "Bright Spark 31" folder but no "Bright Spark".
So i go to the line 942 of the code, fix the line to refers to the correct folder (Bright Spark 31\Spark ...) and now i see another error, now at line 962, another reference of the wrong folder. I fixed it, then another one at 971.

After fixing those lines the AI worked normally, except for the fact that at the start of the game it keeps spaming the same chat msgs over and over again in a loop. But that one i dont know how to fix. (The msgs are "Military Mode 1" and "Target Player 2")

It does not seens to interfere on the AI gameplay but it is a pain to the ears if you are spectating the AI.

So i search in the code, and found at the end a rule set to true and comented it, now the AI does not send those msgs.

Anyway, i love your AI, it is a great work.

Thankyou
Hi PaxPR,

Thank you so much for pointing that out and for including the lines! I copy over files and rename them before I publish so I must have missed those as they were offset.

I've just reuploaded with the changes above including the debug chat - hope it gives the ears a rest!

Thanks for the kind words - it's great to know other people are enjoying it :)

wattle
Swami

Post by wattle »

I was about to say, it works for me fine, but see Bandit was faster than me :D
MangudAI-all-in (wip, to be continued, when I retire from work :P )
Btw, thank you s64 for your effort. Was a pleasure to cross your way. Have a good time.