Ranger 3.04

Upload your latest creations here.
Please note that by posting comments to posts in this forum you forfeit your personal copyright on whatever you post. AI Scripters reserves the right to re-use objective comments in script reviews without requiring the posting author's permission. Credit, where appropriate will be given in such cases.
kunyi
Guru

Re: Ranger 3.03

Post by kunyi »

Campeador
Waheguru

Re: Ranger 3.03

Post by Campeador »

I have answered you in the Hint of the day thread because this could be interesting for others.

UnfairestEel
Waheguru

Re: Ranger 3.04

Post by UnfairestEel »

Updated.

I will check out the links now.
Knowledge is Time.
This simple fact can be derived from these beliefs:
Time is Money.
Money is Power.
Knowledge is Power.
Therefore, Knowledge is Time.
Q.E.D.

Promiskuitiv
Waheguru

Post by Promiskuitiv »

YES! My first win against your Mayans! :dance

http://imageshack.us/f/526/aok000p.png/

You'd win most of the time though :P If you want to know, Promi flushed.

UnfairestEel
Waheguru

Post by UnfairestEel »

Nice work.

I have noticed that when any of my AIs get flushed (without flush defence) they usually lose.
However my own flush loses to FC AIs.

So I'm unsure about which strategy is superior...

Anyway, Ranger's counter flush is very strong (although not optimised) and if Promi can beat it with a flush, Promi's flush is very strong
Knowledge is Time.
Time is Money.
Money is Power.
Knowledge is Power.
Q.E.D.

Promiskuitiv
Waheguru

Post by Promiskuitiv »

It was also hard work!:P

Now i've let Promi play against Ranger for two more times with a surprising result.
Flush-Promi: This time my flush wasn't strong enough for your m@a defense, nice detection of my trashflush there. (:
Boom-Promi: Despite Promi's bad dark age (didn't find food early) everything was looking good and went as planned. Promi trained many knights & e-skirms and also some crossbows as backup. When you attacked he repelled the attack and defeated you.

After the one test where my flush somehow beat you i would've expected the opposite. ^^ Well seems like my flush has a chance of winning but i'm not too optimistic here.
Don't know about my FC-strat since i only tested it once against you now. I mean i tested it more often but only once with my newest version (1.1b, it's uploaded if you want to test it yourself (: ).
My AI also flushes more often than it does a FC strat.

Well good luck for the laddergame against me, i think you'll win but let's just hope for a good game. :)

UnfairestEel
Waheguru

Post by UnfairestEel »

Yes, good luck!
You should see how your flush works against other flushing AIs, like Crusade.

Anyway, I am not surprised at your victories at all ;) Keep it up.
I haven't scripted for a couple of weeks now but one AI that has a similar strategy to Ranger different as well is Crusher, also by me and it plays mayans.
Against flushers it builds up a flush defence and then stops training units to jump to castle age very quickly, followed by a crucial castle drop.
You may also find Crusher interesting to test against your FC.
btw Crusher is very different from Ranger with a whole different yet similar strategy (it is also no-where near as good)
anyway, Crusher often Castled before Crusade in my tests which is an achievement in itself :P
Knowledge is Time.
Time is Money.
Money is Power.
Knowledge is Power.
Q.E.D.

UnfairestEel
Waheguru

Post by UnfairestEel »

This is Ranger 1.1...
With some changes.
It's actually very strong.
Plays Mayans.
Try it, it's good.
What I did is I went through it and changed obvious nooby mistakes.
Quite a bit was taken from Snake.
And I wouldn't be surprised if it was better than Ranger 3.04
Attachments
Ranger 1.1.zip
(13.11 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
Knowledge is Time.
Time is Money.
Money is Power.
Knowledge is Power.
Q.E.D.

Rocky82
Forumer

Post by Rocky82 »

How could it be better? I don't understand... Out of ALL the versions to choose from you choose such a low version..How come?

Ok I'm sorry I see you said you changed some mistakes n stuff..But why not change those mistakes to your latest version? Why this version.. Whatever would make 1.1 better than 3.04 then you should implement those into 3.04.. I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to scripting so maybe I'm missing something.

I guess I'll download both and have them fight..

Rocky82
Forumer

Post by Rocky82 »

EDIT** I just noticed the last post of this was from 2012..Stupid me I'm sorry guys.

Okay I've downloaded both of them and have done some testing.. I'm also writing this as I am testing it. These tests were done with Ranger 1.1 and Ranger 3.04. Settings used were:
---------------------------------
Map: Arabia and Black Forest
Civ: Always Mayans for both
Size: All
Difficulty: Hard
Players: 1V1
Resources: Standard
Pop: 200
Reveal Map: All Visible
Starting Age: Standard
Victory: Conquest

1v1
Ranger 1.1 W:0 L1
Ranger 3.04 W1 L0 Arabia tiny

1v1
Ranger 1.1 W:0 L2
Ranger 3.04 W2 L0 Arabia small

1v1
Ranger 1.1 W:0 L3
Ranger 3.04 W3 L0 Arabia medium

1v1
Ranger 1.1 W:0 L4
Ranger 3.04 W4 L0 Arabia normal

1v1
Ranger 1.1 W:0 L5
Ranger 3.04 W5 L0 Arabia large

1v1
Ranger 1.1 W:0 L6
Ranger 3.04 W6 L0 Arabia giant

1v1
Ranger 1.1 W:0 L7
Ranger 3.04 W7 L0 Black Forest tiny

1v1
Ranger 1.1 W:0 L8
Ranger 3.04 W8 L0 Black Forest small

1v1
Ranger 1.1 W:0 L9
Ranger 3.04 W9 L0 Black Forest medium

1v1
Ranger 1.1 W:0 L9
Ranger 3.04 W9 L0 *DRAW* Black Forest normal

**-Now on this particular match Ranger 1 had somehow got all the relics and was fending off all of Ranger 3's attacks. As of now it's the 2 hour mark and I believe that's the (un)official game time. Ranger 1's score is 10,000 over Ranger 3's. Ranger 1 does not make use of his trebs at least in this match. And infact I don't think Ranger 3 even uses trebs! Ranger 1 has about 12 around his castle and they havn't even moved.. If I let this continue I believe Ranger 3 will end up winning by the looks of it.. and by the looks of it, it would probably be all day lol. But I'll say it's a draw!-**

1v1
Ranger 1.1 W:0 L10
Ranger 3.04 W10 L0 Black Forest large

1v1
Ranger 1.1 W:0 L10
Ranger 3.04 W10 L0 *DRAW* Black Forest huge

**-I've noticed that bottle necks do help Ranger 1 quite a bit in these black forest matches I also see Ranger 1 IS using his trebs in this match. Interesting.. Ranger 3 is also using trebs now.. It is now well past the 2 hour mark and they are caught up in a bottleneck all day fight here so it's another DRAW!-**

Final Score: Arabia Ranger 3.04 W-6 L-0 D-0 -- Ranger 1.1 W-0 L-6 D-0
Final Score Black Forest Ranger 3.04 W-4 L-0 D-2 -- Ranger 1.1 W-0 L-4 D-2

My Thoughts:

In one match tiny Arabia, Ranger 3's monk went right through Ranger 1's town in castle age and stole its relic right behind his town.. Pretty funny cause all the soldiers were busy fighting on the front right on Ranger 1 town and the relic was in the back left and he actually got it home leaving the town on the left side. :p That match was a win for Ranger 3 though.

Ranger 3 and Ranger 1 reaches feudal at about the same time.. It seems Ranger 1 goes for fast castle. By then feudal Ranger 3 has built up enough troops to annoy the hell out of castle Ranger 1 which reduces the economy time.. Which is essential. I also noticed that what I just said only applies to the smaller maps. The larger maps it seems Ranger 3 is getting to feudal and castle at roughly the same time. Also those towers Ranger 3 puts up close to Ranger 1's town is also a hindrance to Ranger 1's Eco.

I noticed as well that Ranger 1 hunts boar with 1 villager then garrisons in the TC then un-garrisons, hits the boar with an arrow, goes back into the TC and repeat until the boar is dead. Odd way of killing the boar instead of the other villagers coming in to kill it off quickly. In fact in many cases the boar would kill the single villager trying to kill it and end up just running back off to wherever.

I've noticed that with both Rangers, they do not build mining camps close to far away res.. They will travel long distances to mine far away res.

Ranger 3 is having a much harder time in the small black forest match. The bottle necks are helping Ranger 1 build up. But once Ranger 3's siege units arrive the bottle neck is gone and Ranger 3 opens up that can ;)

Ranger 3 is more efficient at getting relics. (Most of the time)

I find it strange that when Ranger 3 is killing off Ranger 1's towns, he won't resign. No matter what.

Now on the giant maps it took Ranger 3 a lot longer to take down Ranger 1. Although with any size map Ranger 3's victories all happen within the 45-65min range for Arabia and 65-105min range for Black Forest. Most of the time that is. Those Black Forest bottle necks really do a number and once Ranger 1 gets to post imperial he's a monster.

Thanks for these awesome AI's UnfairestEel!

That's my testing for 1v1 Rangers :) Maybe I'll test teams next... Cheers :)