The Ancestors

Upload your latest creations here.
Please note that by posting comments to posts in this forum you forfeit your personal copyright on whatever you post. AI Scripters reserves the right to re-use objective comments in script reviews without requiring the posting author's permission. Credit, where appropriate will be given in such cases.
FireBall37
Forumer

The Ancestors

Post by FireBall37 »

Hey everyone! This is just something fun I decided to do for anyone who's interested. I'm going through my backups and finding the earlier versions of Shadow that I made. To be honest, Shadow was a completely different AI back then! :) In fact, I didn't discover UP for a long time, so most of these can't lure boar etc. :P

This is just something fun in the spirit of others (Mr Elephant, Philosopher, et al.) finding AI's from the past. Don't expect too much, but I hope some people enjoy seeing the progression of Shadow to his present form.

--SHADOW 0--
First release: Shadow 0! This is the very first version of Shadow that I made, having very little game knowledge outside my own play (I wasn't that good either)! In the file there is a description of his army comp and best civs (I think, I can't totally remember what all I did). I think he can use most civilizations, even the meso civs. I think the strategy is just getting to Imperial and getting relics before fighting, with a strange mix of military and booming! :head
After watching Shadow 0 in play, you will probably be shocked at how bad he is! If I recall correctly, my inspiration was using cav archers to exploit the built-in AI ability to pull ranged units back after firing (ability-to-maintain-distance) At the time, I was trying on my own to figure out build orders and how many vills to go for. Also, I was mainly testing vs AI's that went for relics early, so that is his main focus! I guess this shows that starting AI's don't have to be perfect!
Now that I write this I'm thinking I might regret it, but nevertheless here it is. :devil

--SHADOW 1--
Alright, here's the next step in the journey: Shadow 1. This marked a switch in my army focus as now Shadow focuses on an infantry-based army with support units. Shadow 1 once again has a rough start, but can do surprisingly well if allowed to build up in imperial. One noticiable difference is the lack of villagers. He stops dark age vill production at 15!! :head Bear with me though, I was still learning...

Strategy: Shadow goes for a generic infantry-based strategy that seems to work for all civs, and can produce some navy as well. He also focuses on towers throughout the game. He will produce unique units with all civs, but most of all with infantry uu's. He will also go for relics and monks while attempting a fairly ineffective mix of tc's, military, and getting to imp. All in all, I'm proud of this version. It has its own distinct style and isn't as horrible as Shadow 0. Still not really that good yet... ;)

More coming in the future as I dig them up! For newer scripters, you can see some of the journey that Shadow went on before getting to his current state! :D
Attachments
Shadow 1.zip
(10.28 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
Shadow 0.zip
(9.65 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Last edited by FireBall37 on Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:06 pm, edited 8 times in total.

MrElephant
Forumer

Re: The Ancestors

Post by MrElephant »

Downloaded! Thanks for the AI Fireball! Cant wait to try it out.

This awesome that you still have some of the older versions of shadow. And it is cool to compare AIs from the past to what they became!
Last edited by MrElephant on Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

FireBall37
Forumer

Post by FireBall37 »

Have fun!! If anything, it'll make other AI's look better :P

MrElephant
Forumer

Post by MrElephant »

Maybe next time Philosopher gets on discord, we can try to stream some of the older ais again.

This time we also have the handicap feature, so maybe we could compare older ais with handicap again new ais without. Maybe that would be interesting.

FireBall37
Forumer

Post by FireBall37 »

That is true. A good way to level the playing field and add more flavor to the scene!

FireBall37
Forumer

Post by FireBall37 »

Uploaded the next Ancestor! Getting better, maybe? :unsure: