Subotai 0.9

Upload your latest creations here.
Please note that by posting comments to posts in this forum you forfeit your personal copyright on whatever you post. AI Scripters reserves the right to re-use objective comments in script reviews without requiring the posting author's permission. Credit, where appropriate will be given in such cases.
Campeador
Waheguru

Re: Subotai 0.5

Post by Campeador »

I don't know. I don't use sn-task-ungrouped-soldier because I'm using the ten allowed timers for 1.c. Perhaps I search for a way to compact the others or I add it only for UP. But I'm almost sure that I've watched other AIs using it quite well. I had problems with timers when I was a beginner and it was one of the things which avoided me to create then an ok building systema lot of time ago.

If I'm not wrong, retreat is an UP tool to bring into your base your ex-attacking units once you have cancelled an attack, to avoid them spreaded in the map. I haven't added it yet, so I don't know its results, but I think that The Horde had a problem with it, causing units grouping and regrouping too much in the Rivers tournament. Perhaps Archon had resolved it but in any case add it carefully if you want to test it. So again and I don't know if it's good or not, or in what cases. :rolleyes: :lol:

Archon
Waheguru

Post by Archon »

Mandulis wrote:Where I am struggling is unit spreading. On black forrest maps my units sometimes blocked each other. So I found this sn-task-ungrouped-soldiers. I deployed timers so my units are spread for 1 second every 180 seconds. The clogging is solved but now my units spread out across the map and do not help each other well.
There are two bugs related with sn-task-ungrouped-soldiers. It's always 1 when it's used as a fact. The other issue is, it's always set to true when playing a multiplayer game in 1.0c.
If that's not the problem, double check your goals/timers so they won't trigger that accidentally.
Mandulis wrote:Ok, I looked that up. It seems the horde is just doing better because it attacks very often and is never really just gathering units.
Actually, it's a rather peaceful aiscript. However, if it senses some sort of advantage, it will attack. :devil
Campeador wrote:If I'm not wrong, retreat is an UP tool to bring into your base your ex-attacking units once you have cancelled an attack, to avoid them spreaded in the map. I haven't added it yet, so I don't know its results, but I think that The Horde had a problem with it, causing units grouping and regrouping too much in the Rivers tournament. Perhaps Archon had resolved it but in any case add it carefully if you want to test it. So again and I don't know if it's good or not, or in what cases. :rolleyes: :lol:
I had a wrong comparison error in the code that caused it to retreat in TC fire when I outnumbered the enemy. As I won the majority of my games, it triggered often. :head

scripter64
Waheguru

Post by scripter64 »

Archon wrote:Actually, its a rather peaceful aiscript. But if it senses some sort of advantage, it will attack.
:devil :devil :devil

UnfairestEel
Waheguru

Post by UnfairestEel »

It's just way too good at getting that advantage in my opinion :ph34r:
Knowledge is Time.
This simple fact can be derived from these beliefs:
Time is Money.
Money is Power.
Knowledge is Power.
Therefore, Knowledge is Time.
Q.E.D.

Archon
Waheguru

Post by Archon »

Did a test with version 0.5 and it didn't have the task ungrouped soldiers problem. :blink:

There are several other points for improvement.
- If you notice you can't an advantage to attack the enemy in feudal age, block training and go to castle age.
- The gatherer percentage against enemys going fast castle is bad, it had not enough wood for enough farms and ended with 2k gold.
- The research order in castle age isn't good. With that many units left from feudal age you should get bodkin, Xbow and light cavalry upgrades first.
- It doesn't seem to stop his attacks, when outnumbered.
- The sell > 500 food while the food price is >= 70 can prevent you from advancing to the next age, if the enemy keeps buying food.

Mandulis
Forumer

Post by Mandulis »

I noticed the same problems. They all originate from the current strategy being not fully done yet. The base script is ok, but the strategy script is not. I am working on it already. The main problem with fast castle is that i do not catch up quickly enough or do not keep attacking before the enemy finishes the castle-age. I already have some ideas to counter that. Improving the hunting should speed up the mongols, too. The good thing about spending some time on a solid base-script is that I can now adjust my strategy script rather easily, so I am happy with that.

Thanks for the testing.

Archon
Waheguru

Post by Archon »

Yes, I forgot that one. In your military comparison change (players-military-population every-enemy == 0) with (players-military-population every-enemy <= 1), as the enemy will have a scout.

Mandulis
Forumer

Post by Mandulis »

Ok, I changed that. My next task will be proper hunting. I did some calculations and think it could be done to go to feudal age without a single farm. This would need two boars, 4 sheep and 4 deer. Instead of building farms I would build a second mill for hunting. If this works out I go feudal with 22 villagers and can then start to flush. Since Subotai is a mongol general this hopefully is very fast.

Campeador
Waheguru

Post by Campeador »

It can work in most games, but AIs have got a worse exploration than humans, so it's possible that you find only two boars, 4 sheep but without any deer because they have been placed a bit far from your TC and your horrible explorer hasn't found them.

It can be a not a bad idea to design yourdark age so, but with a rule to build an emergency farm if idle-farms == 0. or something like that. I use it in water maps, to avoid problems if I don't find a space for the dock at time. Humans can control their explorer manually, but AIs not.

Perhaps the code that I copied from ARFII to count sheep could help you. I use it to decide among 8 or 10 woodcutters is some maps. My version uses two less goals, replacing one by an obsolete strategic number to use the result easier (although sns are more "expensive", and other by a self-taunt to save an extra goal.

I forgot to mention that you have to be sure that your imporved feudal times really help you to train your army sooner. My Britons often feudal at 12:XX even without UP, but they sometimes need almost all the feudal transition to build the barracks because they've got only 26 villagers, training the first soldier at a similar time than if they had advanced with 27 villagers. Anyway, if you use well UP stuff I'm sure that you'll do it better.

Mandulis
Forumer

Post by Mandulis »

I have a back-up plan for farms implemented. First tests looked promising. The hunting is done properly and two boars are hunted. After that a hunting mill is built, if we are not advancing to the feudal age and need the wood for other stuff.

Where I have to tweak the script is the point of time when I start building farms and how many I need. I can get to the feudal age easily without a single farm, but I need a bunch of them in the feudal age, when the bushes run out, so I have a constant flow of food. BUt that is just testing some values. Overall the hunting stuff made the script faster and allows it to be more aggressive. I will try to make it more error-proof.