Educate this noob on the dif AI versions

Upload your latest creations here.
Please note that by posting comments to posts in this forum you forfeit your personal copyright on whatever you post. AI Scripters reserves the right to re-use objective comments in script reviews without requiring the posting author's permission. Credit, where appropriate will be given in such cases.
Rocky82
Forumer

Educate this noob on the dif AI versions

Post by Rocky82 »

I see scripters with their AI's and some are for ladder some are for tourney some are regular. I don't understand ANY of that.. How come not just put one AI up the best of your version.. I looked at a TRON AI forum and he had one that could only play Mayans only and another that played any civ.. Whats the dif between all these versions.. Should I get all of them?...Confused here lol

CheeseOnToast
Yogi

Re: Educate this noob on the dif AI versions

Post by CheeseOnToast »

Some AI scripters create single scripts and implement them into bigger scripts later. Single civ AI's are typically optimized better than an AI that can play all civs. Tron as Mongols (i think thats what you mean) is optimized to play Mongols to the best of its ability.

Rocky82
Forumer

Post by Rocky82 »

You're the brute?! Awesome your AI is marvelous my friend!.. But what does ladder versions and tournament versions mean? What are the differences? Is it safe to assume if say barbarian has 5 different versions of his AI up for download that the latest would be the greatest?

CheeseOnToast
Yogi

Post by CheeseOnToast »

Tournament versions are most likely designed for AI vs AI only (but can be used with humans regardless)
And yes I am the Brute :P

Archon
Waheguru

Post by Archon »

Rocky82 wrote:But what does ladder versions and tournament versions mean? What are the differences? Is it safe to assume if say barbarian has 5 different versions of his AI up for download that the latest would be the greatest?
If you use Userpatch (which you totally should), then it's safe to go for the latest version.

Tournament/ladder version may play only a single strategy while a standard version may select a strategy at random from a list of potential strategies per civ. While a single best/optimized strategy is an advantage in AIwars, against human this can be a disadvantage, because it is very predictable.

Another reason for ladder versions is that some authors prefer older and well tested versions to avoid potential bugs in ladder games. And, albeit rarely, I've seen some people making newer version that actually play worse than older versions.

Rocky82
Forumer

Post by Rocky82 »

Totally understand now thank you sir!!

CheeseOnToast
Yogi

Post by CheeseOnToast »

Archon wrote: Another reason for ladder versions is that some authors prefer older and well tested versions to avoid potential bugs in ladder games. And, albeit rarely, I've seen some people making newer version that actually play worse than older versions.
Story of my life. :lol:

scripter64
Waheguru

Post by scripter64 »

:head :lol:

Rocky82
Forumer

Post by Rocky82 »

I think I see what you mean Archon. Because I've been having different version Boss AI's fight other AI's and it seems that Boss 1.41 and Boss 1.94 seem to be a lot better than Boss 2.06.. Strange.. Although all I really do is AI wars so maybe Boss 2.06 is more suited towards humans, but I only have AI's fight each other so IDK....

Off topic question.. How come I read some AI's are so adamant about "locking teams" together.. *Edit I meant "making sure -team together- is on"