Jester (V 2.21) & Forthwind (V 2.1)

Upload your latest creations here.
Please note that by posting comments to posts in this forum you forfeit your personal copyright on whatever you post. AI Scripters reserves the right to re-use objective comments in script reviews without requiring the posting author's permission. Credit, where appropriate will be given in such cases.
halcyon88
Swami

Re: Forthwind.AI (Version 1.8)

Post by halcyon88 »

REALLY loving the new walls and how it includes palisades!

Is there a way to restrict the number of gates to a maximum of 4, though? I think that all the gates Forthwind makes are rather costly and may even be slowing down his boom and up times (gates are a lot more expensive than walls.... I say limit to 4 because that would be a maximum of 1 per side, if that makes sense).

Or a maximum of 2 gates if there is a way to specify the gates being on the front sides rather than the back sides. If this makes sense.

Other than that it's great. Just tested against HD AI on extreme (Bohemian mirror) and on the Arabia map. Forthwind has clearly improved but still getting outboomed by HD AI on Arabia.

If you could PM me the previous version of Forthwind (already replaced it, whoops) then I could test both versions against each other and see how much stronger the improvement really is, if you permit.
A.K.A. TOAO_Philosopher (formely TOAO_ReLeNtLeSsS, TOAO_Leo, TOAO_Ayubu_, TOAO_FSpirit, _TOAO_HussY_ and TOAO__HussaR_ (even before that, Deadly_Hussar— and DEADLY POISON on AOKH back when I was REALLY young)).

halcyon88
Swami

Post by halcyon88 »

As for what other AIs are good to test against Forthwind I highly recommend Bambi. They also both go into extended feudal warfare so if that's your sort of thing it's pretty cool! They're also quite evenly matched although I think Forthwind has the slight edge.
A.K.A. TOAO_Philosopher (formely TOAO_ReLeNtLeSsS, TOAO_Leo, TOAO_Ayubu_, TOAO_FSpirit, _TOAO_HussY_ and TOAO__HussaR_ (even before that, Deadly_Hussar— and DEADLY POISON on AOKH back when I was REALLY young)).

screamingkoos
Forumer

Post by screamingkoos »

Leif Ericson wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:50 pm
Are you more excited about exploring your AI's competitive potential and optimizing its strategies and behavior, or are you more excited about finding more unconventional strategies and adding to its unique personality.
That's the thing, I'm definitely 50/50 on it. There are a few quick changes I could do to Forthwind right now to make it more competitive, but haven't. I'm considering creating a new ai with Forthwind as a foundation, but that will mean quite a lot of work, I'll have to see in the future. But thank you for your comment, it's got me asking the hard questions now :D
halcyon88 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:46 am
It's called the King of Arabia 2 and there's a thread on it in the tournaments subforum of this website
Hey Haylcon! I saw you asked them to submit Forthwind in the tournament! THANKS!

I've been gone a few days so just coming back to your reply has been awesome! Loving the detail :)
halcyon88 wrote:
P.S. Feel free to contact me on DM here on this site and ask for my Steam username if you would like to do some testing of Forthwind together in team games, sometime.
Yeah you bet! I will try to figure that out right now. Would really love for someone to give some feedback, and play some games with!
halcyon88 wrote:
It's a lot of effort but my personal favorite option would be for you to branch off into two different versions: a casual funny/entertaining version and a competitive/serious version.
Yeah I'm leaning towards this idea too. I'm considering making Forthwind like VERY random (still decent though) with more strategies that would be quite unexpected, but also using the base of Forthwind to create a new "competitive" version. The only barrier is time for me at the moment :head
halcyon88 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:46 am
I really think the casual/funny/interesting style is what the personality of Forthwind is all about—his identity, if you will— so fits the name.
Absolutely! It's not about what's right, it's about the MEME potential! :lol: haha but yeah that's how I've been feeling about this!
halcyon88 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:46 am
Please let me know if this feedback was helpful.
Yes, it is very helpful. It'll probably be easier to reply to the rest of your message that way! Very awesome stuff here anyhow :dance

halcyon88
Swami

Post by halcyon88 »

I'm really glad that you liked my reply :)

Edsato82
Forumer

Post by Edsato82 »

I loved this AI, a query, how can I make it show me the Historical names instead of the AI name? :D

screamingkoos
Forumer

Post by screamingkoos »

Hi everyone! Posting an update here for Forthwind. 2 Versions are here as you may be aware, one is the original version (1.9) and the other is a "competitive" version (Forthwind [T]).

I have been working on this for days straight, so not quite the energy to talk about it here, but check out the readme and the updates.txt files attached with the download to learn more! Thanks!
Edsato82 wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:16 am
I loved this AI, a query, how can I make it show me the Historical names instead of the AI name? :D
Hi Edsato! I'm really happy to hear that, thanks!

If you open up (using notepad) the "Forthwind.per" file, and just copy and paste this command in, and click save, it should do the trick for you :)
It doesn't matter where you put it as long as its on its own space and not interferring with any of the other rules in the file. So this command here:

(defrule
(game-time < 10)
=>
(up-change-name -1))

halcyon88
Swami

Re: Forthwind.AI (Version 1.9)

Post by halcyon88 »

I'm instantly excited! Thank you Screaming!

P.S. If you haven't done so already I highly recommend contacting Esty to let him know so he can update the AI pack with the latest version of the tournament edition of Forthwind. Just in case he misses this thread before he casts today. Forthwind will probably qualify into Round 2!

Great stuff :)

halcyon88
Swami

Post by halcyon88 »

P.P.S. I'm honored to be the first person to download both versions of the new update :D

halcyon88
Swami

Post by halcyon88 »

P.P.P.S. I cannot find the updates.txt file in the folder of either version?

Maybe you need to do a quick re-update just to add that in? ;)

AI2015
Forumer

Post by AI2015 »

Hi, screamingkoos, thank you for updating forthwind. I like the randomness of AI in the game

In addition, please check the files you uploaded. They don't have updates.txt. I also want to know the difference between the two versions :)