ZebbaAI

Upload your latest creations here.
Please note that by posting comments to posts in this forum you forfeit your personal copyright on whatever you post. AI Scripters reserves the right to re-use objective comments in script reviews without requiring the posting author's permission. Credit, where appropriate will be given in such cases.
Zebba
Forumer

ZebbaAI

Post by Zebba »

(Now also available in the in-game mod workshop)

Hello there!

Finally, after I've been working on this AI since Summer 2021 now, I decided that it's time to share ZebbaAI to everyone.

The initial idea behind ZebbaAI was to create an AI that plays all various strategies to see how they tend to work out in varying situations, including adapting its strategy to opponent strategies. For that to work the goal is to give the AI all the necessary tools to make use of everything the game offers, e.g. deer pushing. It's not yet at a point where I'd like to have it, since implementing some of these abilities are quite time consuming, but I'm working on it.

Game Mode: Random Map, Empire Wars & Custom Scenario (consider map restrictions)
Civs: Can play all civilizations, except Armenians & Georgians
Maps: Optimized on Arabia, Yucatan, Arena, Fortress, and similiar maps. Besides that, ZebbaAI can play nomad and other custom maps. (Not optimized on water-maps though)
ZebbaAI can't play properly on island-like maps or on Black Forest type of maps: It needs a map with land connection to the enemy
Taunts in TGs: AI reacts to following taunts: 3 ("food please"), 4("wood please"), 5("gold please"), 6("stone please"),
31("Attack an enemy now"), 38("give me your extra resources"), Flare-Location + 48("I'm being attacked, please help")
Strategies: Drush, Archerrush, Scoutrush, Towerrush (currently deactivated), FC into Unique Unit, FC into Gold Unit,
Fast-Imp (only pockets in team-games or on closed maps like Arena)
Difficulty: There are no levels of difficulties for this AI. However, the game throttles AI performance on difficulties below extreme, so set the difficulty to extreme for the best performance. Its current level is comparable to the HD AI.

Stay tuned for more improvements & updates in the future! :)

====================================================

New in Version 1.2.5

General:
- added ability to research devotion & fortified wall
- added ability to scout with horses as huns on nomadic maps
- added ability to train petards
- added basic monk micro
- added spearman micro in feudal-age
- added ability to snipe monks with scouts
- added ability to properly retreat with monks from enemy castles, TCs & towers
- added missing ability to retreat from kreposts
- overall improved economy-setup & research timings
- added a full defense mode if the AI is far behind
- when facing enemy monks, AI will target light-cav upgrade more likely in imperial age
- AI will now prefer to build a monastery as Lithuanians, Aztecs & Burgundians, if not significantly behind in military
- AI will no longer train elephant-archers & battle-elephants (except as Malay) in castle-age
- added ability to request resources in urgent situations
- Crucial Imperial-Age upgrades are now targeted more precisely
- AI will no longer go Fast Imp or FC UU in team-games (except on Arena/Fortress)
- now cancels unit production if it's close to going to imperial-age
- slightly improved castle-age foot archer performance
- now occasionally retreats if in a military disadvantage
- AI can now research ring-archer-armor even if the civ doesn't have bracer

Towerrush Defense:
- removed ability of villagers to target walls around towers, as villagers would continue to target the wall even if the tower goes down

Evacuating villagers:
- AI will no longer place certain buildings/train military units if it doesn't have a TC

Teamgames:
- AI will now train trade carts in imperial-age more consistently
- fixed request for ally-help & reactions when being under attack
- added ability to switch the attack to the next closest player if the AI has a large advantage vs the current target-player

Drush:
- Militias will now properly retreat from enemy threats
- No longer goes for FC-UU as a Drush follow-up

Scoutrush:
- improved economy setup
- scouts will now properly retreat from enemy threats

FC-Boom:
- improved build order & market usage to target the 4th TC much faster

FC-Relics:
- improved build order & eco-setup

Siege-Infantry Strategy:
- is now replaced by siege-monk-pike strategy, as the previous longswords-strategy performed poorly

Bengalis:
- will no longer go for elephants in castle-age & instead either go for archers, monks or light cav

Gurjaras:
- fixed a bug where a Gurjara player in team-games would place his initial mill to an ally forage-bush if the own forage-bushes haven't been scouted

Persians:
- Updated Persians unique tech to "Citadels"
- AI will now research Savar upgrade properly
- added ability to research parthian tactics in castle-age

Romans:
- will now research ballistics when playing with scorpions

Saracens:
- Updated Saracens unique tech to "Bimaristan" and research conditions

Custom Maps:
- fixed a bug preventing the AI to research castle-age

Bug Fixes:
- fixed a bug where the AI would be unable to get to feudal-age on maps without berries & deer
- fixed a bug where the scout would freeze while scouting the base
- fixed a bug that caused the scout to stutter while scouting the base
- fixed a bug where the AI would build unlimited amount of blacksmiths
- fixed a number of bugs in Imperial-Age where the AI would stockpile a lot of resources but not train any units
- fixed a number of bugs regarding retreat rules
- fixed a rare bug that would prevent the AI from selecting a strategy as flank, resulting in not making any villagers
- fixed a bug where the AI would never research mining-camp upgrades
- fixed a rare bug where the AI would keep villagers inside a TC forever

====================================================

I thank everyone for the feedback! If you're noticing any strange behaviour or you have any feedback I'll be more than happy if you'll let me know! :)

What's next:

- improving deer-pushing by using precise coordinates
- fully implementing proper ranged unit army micro
- fully implementing micro in drushes & scoutrushes
- implementing sheep scouting, eating only one sheep at a time
- adding late game army compositions
- reactivating towerrush & improving it
- adding a new defensive fast feudal strategy
- further developing full DUC Dark-Age economy

Next Update will focus more on optimizing Dark-Age eco & Arena strategies.
Attachments
ZebbaAI all published versions.zip
(1.03 MiB) Downloaded 48 times
ZebbaAI v. 1.2.5.zip
(119.56 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
ZebbaAI v. 1.2.4.zip
(106.06 KiB) Downloaded 134 times
Last edited by Zebba on Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:17 am, edited 22 times in total.

yuu2319
Forumer

Re: ZebbaAI

Post by yuu2319 »

Thank for sharing the AI. He's a very good AI. Sofar haven't seen any bug

Bandit1990
Forumer

Post by Bandit1990 »

Fantastic AI - first 2 games and it beat my latest version of Bright Spark in some close feudal skirmishes!

I applaud you for making ZebbaAI so diverse! It seems that it is strongest when it starts with archers or skirms and weakest when it starts with infantry, but there's nothing new there and I think that's the same with everyone.

Love the TC avoidance, I've seen Bright Spark try to lure in ZebbaAI archers to the TC and they stop just in time, it's brilliant.

Its weakness seems to be towers right now, I don't know if you have any avoidance code in yet but I round ZebbaAI lost the upper hand a couple of times when it started losing archers to tower fire. In the battles I saw this was just enough to turn the tide and defeat ZebbaAI. Tower avoidance or tower preference are both different options that may help with this (dodge the tower or have melee units attack it or archer sit underneath it under the minimum range).

I really look forward to seeing what you do next and I will definitely be using ZebbaAI as one of my regular sparring partners - thanks for the hard work!

Zebba
Forumer

Post by Zebba »

yuu2319 wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:42 pm
Thank for sharing the AI. He's a very good AI. Sofar haven't seen any bug
Thank you for your Feedback! I really appreciate it :)
Bandit1990 wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:50 pm
Fantastic AI - first 2 games and it beat my latest version of Bright Spark in some close feudal skirmishes!

I applaud you for making ZebbaAI so diverse! It seems that it is strongest when it starts with archers or skirms and weakest when it starts with infantry, but there's nothing new there and I think that's the same with everyone.

Love the TC avoidance, I've seen Bright Spark try to lure in ZebbaAI archers to the TC and they stop just in time, it's brilliant.

Its weakness seems to be towers right now, I don't know if you have any avoidance code in yet but I round ZebbaAI lost the upper hand a couple of times when it started losing archers to tower fire. In the battles I saw this was just enough to turn the tide and defeat ZebbaAI. Tower avoidance or tower preference are both different options that may help with this (dodge the tower or have melee units attack it or archer sit underneath it under the minimum range).

I really look forward to seeing what you do next and I will definitely be using ZebbaAI as one of my regular sparring partners - thanks for the hard work!
Thank you a lot, Bandit! I agree, it seems like archers/skirmishers don't require a lot of army control and can be dangerous by just sending them forward, compared to scoutrushes or drushes. Most likely because pathing & unit targeting is something I'm struggling to fix properly.

I'm really curious though about the tower-avoidance you mentioned, since it actually has an avoidance code for towers as well. I'm planning to implement the ability to send archers underneath the tower as well.

Overall, attacking behaviour is something I haven't focused on yet with this AI, but it's the next thing on my list where I want make an overhaul, adding patrol attacking and targeting areas in the opponents base more precisely. Hope to get that out pretty soon, but rather unlikely to get a new version with this before the "Prince of Arabia" tourney.

Esty
Waheguru

Post by Esty »

Lately curious to test the latest AIs... i tested Zebba.

this AI deserves more congratulations than encouragement, as it already offers diversity of strategies while being playable for all civs at a pretty decent level. Many details like the use of TC to kill the boar show that this AI is already very advanced. I had the curiosity to test it last week and I was impressed. I just needed time to post a feedback :)
Author of TRiBaL_Warrior, Yggdrasil, PharaoN, WoodyWood Pecker and currently :o dette :dance

Zebba
Forumer

Post by Zebba »

Esty wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:25 am
Lately curious to test the latest AIs... i tested Zebba.

this AI deserves more congratulations than encouragement, as it already offers diversity of strategies while being playable for all civs at a pretty decent level. Many details like the use of TC to kill the boar show that this AI is already very advanced. I had the curiosity to test it last week and I was impressed. I just needed time to post a feedback :)
Thank you for your kind words, Esty! :)

venomus
Forumer

Post by venomus »

Hey. I have tested on Nomad and just build houses nonstop.

Zebba
Forumer

Post by Zebba »

venomus wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 7:54 am
Hey. I have tested on Nomad and just build houses nonstop.
Hey! Thanks for your feedback. I'll bring out a new version very soon that should fix this and several other issues on nomad.
I haven't tested my AI on nomad for a while, therefore it might face some issues here and there on this map right now.

Zebba
Forumer

Post by Zebba »

Updated for the recent patch.

Zebba
Forumer

Post by Zebba »

Updated to v. 1.2.0 for the upcoming Prince of Arabia Tournament.